GemmoFtir™ is a low-cost FTIR- spectrometer specifically designed and built for diamond & gemological laboratories.
FTIR (Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometer) is a mandatory tool in the modern gemological laboratory. It is routinely used for testing some of the most important gems such as diamond, emerald, corundum, alexandrite, jade, amethyst, amber and turquoise.
GemmoFtir™ works with the same familiar software as other MAGILABS products, provided with it’s own growing FTIR- libraries. Each important gem species has its own library and a set of further analysis applications.
- Fully automatic infrared spectrum acquisition for loose gems from 0.05 to 50+ ct
- High quality gold coated DRIFT (Diffuse Reflectance) mirror system
- High presicion sample height adjustment (for specular reflectance acquisition)
- Works best on faceted gems but many times gives results even for rough
- Minimal sample preparation (cleaning) is required
- Place the gem table down on the sample stage, close the lid & Go!
Software – It Does Make a Difference
Following easy steps, the AutoScan wizard produces high quality results starting from the very first use. No prior experience is required – just insert the sample, close the lid and go. The software is loaded with specific analyses for the most important gems, such as diamond, emerald, alexandrite, amber, amethyst, sapphire and turquoise.
- Comes with pre-installed Dell™ laptop computer
- Free software with built-in gemological FTIR-library
- AutoScan feature – follow the wizard and make no mistakes
- Built-in update feature installs free library updates via the Internet
- Fast USB connection to Windows PC (or Mac with Windows partition)
- Advanced Zoom & Pan methods, floating & nearest point cursors
- Drag & drop spectra vertically for reading clearance
- Peak Smoothing Algorithms: Boxcar, Savitzky-Golay, Spline
- Peak Finder, Derivates, noise etc. advanced analysis methods
- Multi-spectra tools for comparing up to 50 spectra simultaneously
Hardware & Technical Specifications
We are known to operate only with those taking the pride and applying the highest standards of workmanship for their products. GemmoFtir™ has been designed and manufactured together with Interspectrum – an Estonian company whose infrared spectrometers have been embedded in space stations for decades.
- CNC milled stainless steel & aluminum construction – no cheap plastic parts
- Gold coated DRIFT- unit and solid gold sample stage for maximum signal strength
- High precision interferometer with 1, 2, 4, 8, 16 and 32 cm-1 resolutions
- Range: ~ 400-7000 cm-1
- 24 bit A/D resolution, S/N ratio up to 15000:1
- Multi-coated KBr beamsplitter, low noise DLATGS- detector
- Small footprint suitable for desktop; 25 x 35 cm (9.9″ x 13.8″)
- Nitrogen purge option available for reducing atmospheric artifacts (H2O/CO2)
- Developed and manufactured together with Interspectrum
- Renewable silica gel desiccator with visual humidity indication
- Electrically safe 12V system supplied with laptop type transformer (12VDC 3A)
- LED- illuminated sample chamber
- Long-life high intensity ceramic IR source with idle heating (<10W power consumption)
- High quality carrying case
- Optional transmission mirror setup available
- 15-28ºC operating temperature range
What is included
- GemmoFtir™ Fourier Transform Infrared Spectrometer
- Laptop computer with pre-installed software
- Integrated DRIFT module with gold sample stage and sample cup
- 12VDC 3A laptop type transformer, 100-240VAC 50/60Hz input with US, EU or GB plug
- USB Cable, 1 meter
- USB flashdrive including Operating Instructions
- 200 grams of extra silicagel for the desiccator
- Tools set & anti-static dust brush
- Sturdy carrying case made in Germany
- 1 year warranty
- Internet connection (optional, for library updates)
- 110-240V AC or 12VDC (3A)
- Oven or microwave oven for regenerating silica gel
Some important GemmoFtir™ – applications
Diamond typing – the core of diamond analysis. Peace of mind for >95% of diamonds on the market.
Natural vs. synthetic emerald & aquamarine
Identification of jade impregnation (A-jade vs. B-jade)
Natural vs. synthetic amethyst
Diamond treatments detection – Artificially irradiated yellow diamond
Emerald Clarity Enhancement Analysis
Natural vs. synthetic alexandrite
Amber & copal analysis
Installation & Maintenance
GemmoFtir™ can be installed by the end user and does not require for technician visit on site. The system is shipped with a laptop computer having pre-installed and tested software.
GemmoFtir™ can be installed on any flat table surface. It has vibration damping feet and intelligent sensors for aborting the acquisition temporarily in case of excessive vibration.
GemmoFtir™ has been designed to require only minimal maintenance. Silica gel of the desiccator needs to be renewed monthly by heating it in a microwave oven for 2-3 minutes. The gel changes its color from orange (dry) to green (wet), giving a visual indication for the right timing. Alternatively, low cost and non-poisonous gel can be exchanged to fresh one and used material can be freely disposed as normal waste.
Lifetime of the ceramic infrared source is greatly enhanced by heating it continuously. For this reason full time access to power outlet is highly recommended. Heating consumes less than 10W of energy.
MAGILABS Warrants to the original purchaser of the GemmoFtir™ that the unit will be free from defects in material and workmanship for a period of 12 months from the date of original shipment.
GemmoFtir™ contains no user serviceable parts and components. The enclosure is sealed with a holographic label in order to prevent unauthorized maintenance. Any attempt, alteration and modification of the machine and/or the seal not made or formally authorized by MAGILABS will void and nullify the warranty. The warranty does not cover any of the following conditions:
- MAGILABS seal and/or serial label has been tampered or removed.
- Damage caused during installation and/or transportation of the unit.
- Damage caused by modification or repairs not authorized or made by MAGILABS.
- Unusual physical or electrical stress or power fluctuations.
- Normal wear and tear.
- Abuse or improper and unreasonable use, mistreatment or neglect.
Return & Repairs
For warranty returns and repairs, written proof of original purchase date must be provided. The unit returned for repair or replacement must be properly packaged to avoid damage. Warranty repairs will be made, at our option, on-site or at MAGILABS facility.